MIDDLE MUDDLE

Here is a random thought for a Saturday afternoon. Where is the middle of your book?

Before we even to begin to answer this question first we must start at the beginning. How many of us pick up that fresh new book and read the back before the middle or the beginning? That seems a bit pointless of having the book at all.
‘You do not write the first scene, before you know the last scene.’
To know the end, you must go deep into its heart, take the book as a whole and enjoy its journey like nothing else around us matters. John Grisham recently on said; ‘The one piece of advice I give to students who are studying literature is that “You do not write the first scene until you know the last scene” otherwise you get lost in the middle, and the story becomes pointless.’ 
          
That quote really struck out for me, I am more interested in the writing and the outcome than I am in into reading books. So often I will try to read a book and give up halfway through. I don’t think I have ever read a book cover to cover, with the exception of a Roald Dahl book or the Gruffalo. Even in teaching, I would dread a child asking me to read to them. 

So where is the middle of our book is the middle of book? Is it the equal-sided number of pages that make it the middle, is it halfway through or even a quarter of the way from the beginning or end? Is it depending on the word count? I am even sure if there is any scientific evidence (I am willing to be proven wrong).

Ah there you go, there is a change for us this week. Firstly, without using ‘Kindles’, let see how many words are is there to reach the middle of the book. Secondly to find out if there is indeed any scientific or research to discover the theory of ‘The Middle of the book’. Leave your answers on a postcard, if no postcard please use the comments section below this blog. I personally do not know but will give it a try. I think will draw this blog to the conclusion that I believe the middle is wherever you desire it to be, everyone has a different knowledge of the middle.

Much Love

Midlife Writer 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TAKE A BREAK

KINGS WRITER IN PROGRESS

THE BOOK OF PSALMS