WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER ABOUT SEPTEMBER
Can you believe it is the 1st September. This morning I started writing a poem for September. This afternoon I started thinking of another September poem. This one would be about the historical events that happened that month, we all know the one big event that happened this month that changed the course of history. I have something penned for that date and will go live on 9/11.
Honestly when I started this I wonder what had i got myself into a welcomed distraction from another event that is happening at the weekend. Something I instantly knew that event and dates. Some events in history I knew but not when they occurred.
History and science weren't key subjects in special need education back when I was at school. I guess that's why now I am interested inlearning key moments . But definitely not science or Shakespeare. I'm only interested in what im interested in, if you get my writing. I guess I'm considered a sad individual or boring anorak, for posting and creating things like this. But I didn't intend to start it, it just happened. Ask about this stuff tomorrow, I probably couldn't tell you.
And Seems Wednesday has become my writing day, once again. So here's what I've discovered on Google. Although on some website listing some of these are listed, for example the funeral of Princess Diana.
WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER ABOUT SEPTEMBER
1st September 1933: At 5.30.a.m., Hitler’s armies invaded Poland starting World War II in Europe.
2nd September 1666: Great Fire of London began in Pudding lane
5th September 1997: Mother Theresa dies aged 87
6th September 1997: Princess Diana state funeral at West Minister Abbey and laid to rest her family Estate – Althorp.
8th September 1974: Richard Nixon was given a full pardon over the ‘Watergate Scandal’.
8th September 2022: Queen Elizabeth II died aged 96 at Balmoral Castle in Scotland. She was the UK longest reigning monarch.
11th September 2001: The worst terrorist attack in U.S. history occurred as four large passenger jets were hijacked then crashed, killing nearly 3,000 persons. Two jets were diverted by the hijackers to where they were piloted them into the twin towers of the World Trade Centre. The impact and subsequent fire caused both 110-story towers to collapse, killing 2,752 persons including hundreds of rescue workers and people employed in the towers. In addition, United Airlines Flight 93 and American Airlines Flight 77 were hijacked. Flight 77 diverted to Washington, D.C., then piloted into the Pentagon building, killing everyone on board and 125 military personnel inside the building. Flight 93 with 44 people on board was also diverted toward Washington but crashed into a field in Pennsylvania after passengers attempted to overpower the terrorists on board.
12th September 1990: A treaty was signed by East and West Germany and the Allies of World War II allowing for the restoration of sovereignty to a re-unified Germany.
I remember this event as I did a project on it for my City & Guilds Communication and English qualification, helping me earn a distinction. Sadly I no longer have that project, but there is a blog on on here i wrote.
14th September 1741: Composer George Frederick Handel finished Messiah after working on it nonstop for 23 days.
15th September 1940: The height of the Battle of Britain occurred as massive German air raids took place against London, Southampton, Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool and Manchester. The British claimed 185 German planes were shot down.
24th September 1980: Escalation of of an early conflict between Iran and Iraq as Iraqi troops crossed the border and encircled Abadan, then set fire to the world’s largest oil refinery.
26th September 1973: Concorde made its first record-breaking transatlantic crossing
29th September 1829: Britain’s “bobbies” made their first public appearance. Greater London’s Metropolitan Police force was established by an act of Parliament at the request of Home Secretary, Sir Robert Peel, after whom they were nicknamed. The force later became known as Scotland Yard, the site of their first headquarters.
September 29-30, 1941: Nazis killed 33,771 Jews during the Babi Yar massacre near Kiev.
September 28, 1978: Pope John Paul I died after only 33 days in office. He was succeeded by John Paul II.

Comments